In the United States, commercial truck classification is determined based on the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).
The classes range from 1–8. Trucks are also classified more broadly by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), which groups classes 1–2 as light duty, 3–6 as medium-duty, and 7–8 as heavy duty.
Let's take a look at which truck brands have made it to the list.
Heavy and Medium-duty Trucks
Daimler Trucks – the world’s largest truck manufacturer. Volvo Trucks was the world’s second-largest manufacturer of heavy-duty trucks. Freightliner is the most popular truck in America making. The United States Class 8 market is dominated by Freightliner.
- 1United States Freightliner Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks (Class 5-8)
- 2United States Peterbilt Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks (Class 5-8)
- 3United States Kenworth Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks (Class 5-8)
- 4United States International Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks, Severe-Service Trucks
- 5United States Mack Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 6United States Western Star Heavy-duty Trucks (Premium Class 8)
- 1Germany Mercedes-Benz Light, Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 2Germany MAN Commercial and Military Trucks
- 1Sweden Volvo Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 2Sweden Scania Heavy-duty Trucks
- 1Japan Hino Light, Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 2Japan UD Light, Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 1Japan Isuzu Medium-duty Trucks (Class 3-6)
- 1China Dongfeng Light, Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 2China Foton Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 1India Tata Light, Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 2India BharatBenz Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 3Italy Iveco Light, Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks
- 4Netherlands DAF Light, Medium and Military Trucks
- 5Belarus MAZ Heavy-duty Trucks
(Sort by Popularity)
Pickup Trucks (Light-duty Trucks)
The Ford F-Series, which has been one of the most popular automobiles with U.S. buyers for years, was ranked as the best-selling light truck in the United States at year-end 2019. The second spot was claimed by Chrysler’s Ram Pickup, followed by GM’s Chevrolet Silverado and the Toyota Tacoma.
- 1United States Ford Ford F-Series (150, 250, 350, 450), Ford Ranger
- 2United States Ram Trucks RAM 1500, RAM 2500, RAM 3500
- 3United States Chevrolet Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
- 4United States GMC GMC Sierra 1500, GMC Canyon, GMC Sierra 2500HD
- 5United States Jeep Jeep Gladiator
- 1Japan Jiangling Toyota Tundra, Toyota Tacoma
- 2Japan Nissan Nissan Frontier, Nissan Titan, Nissan Titan XD
- 3Japan Honda Honda Ridgeline
- 1China Great Wall Pickup Trucks
- 2China Jiangling Pickup Trucks
(Sort by Popularity)
|*4||Ford Motor||United States|
|*5||General Motors||United States|